January - Sausage Sizzle anyone?

Every January, Stanthorpe Rotary kicks into action as a catering machine. In December we had a bit of a warm-up with some sausage sizzles for local community organisation Christmas break-ups. Then in January we don the green shirts for Australia Day in the park, the Stanthorpe Show Lamburger Stall and then Busking@Stanthorpe. Each event bigger than the previous one. This is the time of year when we are most visible in the community and while it is a lot of work, it is a team effort and it definitely qualifies as "Service Above Self". Catering is one of the major fundraising activities that we do as a Club so not only do we feed the populace, we are also then able to offer financial support to projects in the Community. For anyone who asks why I am a Rotarian... Flipping sausages so that others with greater needs than I can be a little better off makes me HAPPY. I also get to hang with some wise and noble people with a world of knowledge and experience way beyond my own. For me, spending time with fellow Rotarians and friends while at the same time feeding the community is a far more enjoyable way to be a Rotarian than eating my own dinner in a closed room week in and week out. I don't believe that I am the only Rotarian in the world for whom less is more when it comes to traditional meetings, but perhaps I am wrong... This was a hotly debated topic at a recent meeting of our Club so feel free to add your comments to this post if you would like to either challenge or support my notions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October - Spring comes to us all

August - My plan finds some bumps in the road

December - Holiday Season