Where it all began...

The Stanthorpe Rotary Club was chartered in 1953. My Great Uncle, Dick Harslett was a charter member. A few years later my Grandfather Bob Harslett was inducted as a member. I understand that there was a bit of tweaking required as the Rotary International rules at the time stated that clubs were only allowed one member in any given vocational classification. Dick and Bob were both farmers. In fact, a large majority of Granite Belt residents were farmers. Creative job titles were required so that they could both serve their community as Rotarians.
Rotary has lots of rules like this. To me, some make sense, some don't. Some traditions were followed in the past that have changed, some haven't... some need to change!
I am now almost three months into my term as President of the Stanthorpe Rotary Club. I am 36, I am a woman. This makes me unique in the history of leadership of our Club. I am not the youngest president, I am not the first female president but I am the youngest, female president by a fantastic margin! Over the coming year, I want to record my actions, thoughts and opinions for my own personal record, but also in the hope that they might pave a way for future Rotarians as we head into the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October - Spring comes to us all

August - My plan finds some bumps in the road

December - Holiday Season